Antidepressants & other psychiatric drugs
If you need help recovering from antidepressants or psychiatric drug addiction, these resources can help:
Damaging Side Effects
Post-SSRI/SNRI Sexual Dysfunction
Concerns are increasingly being raised about the association of SSRI and SNRI antidepressants with a number of sexual problems. These symptoms include changes in the desire for sex, problems reaching orgasm, sexual arousal problems, diminished comfort and satisfaction.
These concerns, which were originally raised by people taking the drugs, led to a citizen petition submitted to health regulators so that warnings could be issued. The European Medicines Agency has issued warnings and cautions about the use of these antidepressants but Canada has not.
Antidepressants and Violence
Navy-yard Shooter Aaron Alexis's past fell just short of raising alarm.
- Aaron Alexis was on the antidepressant Trazodone at the time of the shootings.
- The timelines and his calm, organized behaviour are well aligned with someone experiencing an antidepressant-induced psychotic episode:
- Aug 23 — prescribed Trazodone for insomnia.
- Aug 28 — still not sleeping, dosage increased.
- Sept 14 — practiced shooting with shotgun and purchased shotgun.
- Sept 16 — shooting.
- The FDA has several reports on the connection between Trazodone and homicide.
See the violence category at RxISK.org.
SSRI Stories has 5000+ news articles documenting antidepressant-induced violence and bizarre behavior.
Antidepressants in Children and Adolescents
Our Children at Risk
There is increasing use of higher potency drugs prescribed to our children than ever before. These drugs have serious side effects which can be misinterpreted by the family or doctor.
This site has two related articles:
- One social worker has voiced her concern in this statement: Increasingly potent psychiatric drugs prescribed to children in Canada.
- Read about Citalopram (Celexa) in children and adolescents for depression: What we knew and when.